Oakland, investors look to build Coliseum City, keep sports teams
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Big money is behind an ambitious new plan to redevelop the area around the Oakland Coliseum, a development known as Coliseum City.
The area would be transformed into a new sports and entertainment district with the goal of keeping the Oakland A's, Raiders and Golden State Warriors in Oakland.
At City Hall a rally was held to honor the 2013 AL West champion Oakland Athletics as they chase their fifth World Championship in this year's Major League Baseball playoffs.
Mayor Jean Quan and some A's legends were on hand to fire up the crowd in advance of the ALDS that begins Friday at 6:37 p.m. vs. the Detroit Tigers in Oakland.
There was extra excitement in the crowd after Quan revealed the city attracted deep-pocketed investors from Dubai who were interested in pursuing the Coliseum City project. The sports center would be located on the shoreline across from the existing facility.
"So we're very excited. This is exactly the kind of investor that we wanted. And we're right on target to taking this to council for their approval," said Quan.
The city is hoping these new developments could entice the A's current ownership from wanting to leave the city.
oakland athletics, oakland, oakland coliseum, jean quan, MLB, mlb, alan wang
- Deputy saves man from fiery crash in Oakland
- DEA wages war on synthetic drugs sold on Internet
- Journals show students' despair, hope 48 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- BART board meets over error in union contract 19 min ago
- Bus with 8 kids involved in crash in Livermore
- 10-year-old girl to become Wonder Girl in Vallejo
- Honda tops insurance industry safety list
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming electronics
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Journals show students' despair, hope
48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos