Warriors team to be sold
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- Relief may be imminent for long-suffering Warrior fans. There are various reports indicating the team is about to be sold, presumably to Oracle billionaire Larry Ellison, bringing an end to the wretched Chris Cohan era.
Cohan put the Warriors up for sale this Spring, hoping to get bids in the neighborhood of $400 million. He bought the team 15 years ago for $119 million, which is a pretty nice return on investment for a franchise that has only made the playoffs once under the Cohan regime.
Ellison reportedly joined forces with current minority owners, who control 20 percent of the team. As one of the richest men in the world, Ellison was considered the front-runner all along, with 24-Hour Fitness founder Mark Mastrov believed to be the other finalist in the bidding.
However, whoever owns the team won't have top draft pick Ekpe Udoh for four to six months. The forward from Baylor will have wrist surgery on Wednesday.
There is some mystery about how that wrist got hurt. The Warriors said it occurred during a team workout, but there is suspicion Udoh actually injured it working out on his own.
At least he wasn't on Monta's moped.
And then there's Brandan Wright who will sit out the rest of the summer league after tweaking his surgically-repaired left shoulder.
Wright is heading into his third season, but the Warriors have no idea if the guy can play because he is always hurt.
For Wright, it is going to be all about being healthy.
golden state warriors, nba, larry beil
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Harding makes 37 saves, Wild beat Sharks 3-1
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos