Don Nelson to resign as Warriors coach
Don Nelson is going to resign as the Golden State Warriors head coach with an announcement that could come by Monday. Longtime assistant Keith Smart is expected to take over.
Comcast SportsNet first reported the story. Nellie will get the $6 million left on his contract, but new owner Joe Lacob apparently wants a fresh start. Nelson is the all-time winningest coach in NBA history, but he's had friction with many players in recent years.
I was told Andris Biedrins will probably be so happy and he might rent a blimp with "Aloha Nellie" on it.
Smart is expected to get a one year deal to show what he can do and it's also believed general manager Larry Riley will stay on.
Training camp begins Tuesday.
golden state warriors, nba, larry beil
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family to hold prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- Georgia woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets
- Richmond council votes for foreclosure prevention plan 53 min ago
- Online retailers take part in Free Shipping Day 27 min ago
- Food bank hands out hundreds of hams to families
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 US films to be preserved 48 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Stolen ATM recovered; SF shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday