Don Nelson to resign as Warriors coach
Don Nelson is going to resign as the Golden State Warriors head coach with an announcement that could come by Monday. Longtime assistant Keith Smart is expected to take over.
Comcast SportsNet first reported the story. Nellie will get the $6 million left on his contract, but new owner Joe Lacob apparently wants a fresh start. Nelson is the all-time winningest coach in NBA history, but he's had friction with many players in recent years.
I was told Andris Biedrins will probably be so happy and he might rent a blimp with "Aloha Nellie" on it.
Smart is expected to get a one year deal to show what he can do and it's also believed general manager Larry Riley will stay on.
Training camp begins Tuesday.
golden state warriors, nba, larry beil
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California 31 min ago
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 28 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Little progress made in search for missing...
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos