Don Nelson to resign as Warriors coach
Don Nelson is going to resign as the Golden State Warriors head coach with an announcement that could come by Monday. Longtime assistant Keith Smart is expected to take over.
Comcast SportsNet first reported the story. Nellie will get the $6 million left on his contract, but new owner Joe Lacob apparently wants a fresh start. Nelson is the all-time winningest coach in NBA history, but he's had friction with many players in recent years.
I was told Andris Biedrins will probably be so happy and he might rent a blimp with "Aloha Nellie" on it.
Smart is expected to get a one year deal to show what he can do and it's also believed general manager Larry Riley will stay on.
Training camp begins Tuesday.
golden state warriors, nba, larry beil
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case