Ellis, Curry feed 800 Oakland families
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Golden State Warrior guards Monta Ellis and Stephen Curry teamed up off the court to feed 800 families in Oakland.
"Six years ago, I was in one of these in the lines. Like I said, we didn't have much when I was growing up," said Ellis.
Growing up in Jackson, Mississippi, Ellis watched his mother work three to four jobs at a time while caring for three boys.
"It was a vision I had as a little kid. When I make it, to give back to the community," said Ellis.
That's why Ellis and fellow teammate Stephen Curry joined forces on Thursday to feed 800 families at Oakland's Allen Temple Baptist Church and hand out boxes full of food.
"It's a great time of year where everybody should be taken care of, be able to spend time with each other, not have to worry about anything, and just enjoy each other's company. So hopefully, these meals go a long way with all these families and like Monta says, just put a smile on their faces during this holiday season," said Curry.
And remember, it just over a year ago when - the media in particular - wondered if Ellis and Curry could co-exist. Now, they are thriving together, on and off the court.
"It was a lot of stuff that was taken the wrong way. Me and him talked about it this summer and it didn't have nothing really to do with him. But we're past that. We're here now and we try to make everybody's lives better," said Ellis.
"It's beautiful. I just love it. It's like, Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad, and Happy New Year's," said a thankful woman.
oakland, golden state warriors, hunger, nba
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday