Ellis, Curry feed 800 Oakland families
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Golden State Warrior guards Monta Ellis and Stephen Curry teamed up off the court to feed 800 families in Oakland.
"Six years ago, I was in one of these in the lines. Like I said, we didn't have much when I was growing up," said Ellis.
Growing up in Jackson, Mississippi, Ellis watched his mother work three to four jobs at a time while caring for three boys.
"It was a vision I had as a little kid. When I make it, to give back to the community," said Ellis.
That's why Ellis and fellow teammate Stephen Curry joined forces on Thursday to feed 800 families at Oakland's Allen Temple Baptist Church and hand out boxes full of food.
"It's a great time of year where everybody should be taken care of, be able to spend time with each other, not have to worry about anything, and just enjoy each other's company. So hopefully, these meals go a long way with all these families and like Monta says, just put a smile on their faces during this holiday season," said Curry.
And remember, it just over a year ago when - the media in particular - wondered if Ellis and Curry could co-exist. Now, they are thriving together, on and off the court.
"It was a lot of stuff that was taken the wrong way. Me and him talked about it this summer and it didn't have nothing really to do with him. But we're past that. We're here now and we try to make everybody's lives better," said Ellis.
"It's beautiful. I just love it. It's like, Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad, and Happy New Year's," said a thankful woman.
oakland, golden state warriors, hunger, nba
- Sheriff: Suspect in Colorado school shooting dead 16 min ago
- Man survives fiery explosion at Hayward home
- EMT killed in fiery crash on I-580 remembered
- Poll: Californians gradually souring on unions
- Brisk sales raise Mega Millions jackpot to $425M
- Photos: Colorado high school shooting 17 min ago
- Icy roads creating dangerous driving conditions
- Vigils to mark first anniversary of Newtown shooting
- Knife-wielding man arrested for grocery store robbery 50 min ago
- String of water mains break overnight in Millbrae
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Saturday 55 min ago
- roundup: SF stabbing; Water main breaks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday