Oakland Raiders begin minicamp with Campbell
The Oakland Raiders began a three-day minicamp on Friday with newly-acquired quarterback Jason Campbell taking snaps, alongside the man whose days in Silver and Black may be numbered -- then again, maybe they're not. JaMarcus Russell participated and appears ready to compete for his old job.
Two men who might be described as the Raiders past and their future, were side by side in practice on Friday.
Despite rumors that he could be cut at any moment, the man who has been nicknamed "JaBustus," looked to be in decent shape and downplayed talk that he might soon be an ex-Raider.
"My thing is to keep to work until they tell me tell me not to. I'm going to keep coming out to compete for the job and working my tail off," said JaMarcus. "This is a business and in that aspect, I don't really have anything to do with that. That's a higher level than me. My job is to keep coming and be there every day."
"I'm just here to work. I'm just here to work every day, let Coach Cable make that decision and Mr. Al Davis. My job is to come out here every day and compete, get better, and keep working on things to try to improve the offense," said Campbell.
Campbell said his short term goal is figuring out the playbook.
"Right now, just trying to find the rhythm, get used to the guys around me, and just try to get back into the groove," said Campbell.
The Raiders have reportedly paid Russell $39 million over the past three years. If he stays a Raider and doesn't restructure his contract, the Raiders would owe him another $6 million for this season.
Maybe they cut him soon, maybe just before the season, maybe he stays. For now, head coach Tom Cable knows what he expects.
"I would say we're going to have a great competition," says Cable.
tom cable, oakland raiders, nfl, larry beil
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- Man hit by tour bus on 7th, Mission streets in SF
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- SF burger joint open nearly 50 years about to close
- Sunday marks anniversary of Sierra LaMar's disappearance
- Police conduct statewide underage drinking sting
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco 53 min ago
- Campaign to save dog in Arizona mauling case
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified 50 min ago
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office 34 min ago
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh does push-ups with... 20 min ago
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing 40 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos