Frank Beede wins NFL's teacher of the year
OAKLEY, CA (KGO) -- Former NFL football lineman Frank Beede is used to the roar of the crowd, but on Wednesday those cheers came from students and teachers at the East Bay high school where Beede now teaches.
With thunderous applause, former Beede found out he was the NFL's teacher of the year and from the look on his face, it was a real surprise.
"I was shocked. I had no idea, absolutely no idea and for everybody to do this and put this on, I'm really appreciative," said Beede.
The former Seattle Seahawks lineman has been teaching history at Freedom High School in Oakley for four years. The award even stunned his family.
"I said, 'Are you kidding?' Luckily Frank wasn't home. I was jumping up and down, I was screaming, It was so exciting," said Kim Beede, Frank's wife.
After receiving an e-mail from the NFL about the award it was Freedom High School principle Eric Faulkner that knew Beede was a perfect choice.
"He was up against quite a few other nominees and it was all reduced down to 10. So he was one of 10 finalists. Obviously he was the one that was chosen," said Faulkner.
Last year, the NFL began recognizing former players who are now working professionally as teachers. Beede beat out over 300 applicants for the award, even his former Seahawk teammates agreed number 63 deserved to be number one.
"Right now, this is Frank's day and I want to thank principal Faulkner, first of all, for the nomination to the NFL of nominating Frank Beede, because without his nomination, it never would have been known to the United States how good of a person Frank Beede is," said Paul Johns, a former Seattle Seahawks player.
As NFL teacher of the year both Beede and Freedom High School will receive $5,000. Beede says he is humbled by the award and he hopes to inspire others.
"It's a rewarding profession. You're making a difference in people's lives and that's what it's all about and so I suggest you get out there and do it," said Beede.
nfl, nfl, leigh glaser
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
46 min ago
- Journals show students' despair, hope
46 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos