Former 49er Bryant Young helps SJ State prepare
SAN JOSE, CA (KGO) -- San Jose State opens at Alabama on Saturday. It's the debut for new head coach Mike McIntyre and one of the assistants on his staff is former San Francisco 49ers great Bryant Young.
Young was a four-time Pro Bowler in his 14 years with the 49ers and won a Super Bowl title. The former defensive tackle took a year off after retiring, was a grad assistant at Notre Dame last year, and has taken a full-time job at San Jose State this year as their defensive line coach.
"I have an opportunity to still be around the game and also get a chance to work with young men and hopefully share my experiences over the years with them," says Young.
Young realizes and appreciates now what coaches go through week to week.
"It's really everything I anticipated... the long hours, just grinding it out, getting prepared, and game planning," says Young.
Not all great players make great coaches.
"I do realize that guys are young, they're still learning the game and it's going to take time, so I definitely have to be a little more patient," says Young.
His patience will be tested Saturday as the Spartans put themselves on the NCAA map facing top ranked Alabama.
"We're playing against the best. I think if kids just go in there really calm and just play, be confident in their ability and have fun in the process, I think it would be a great day," says Young.
san jose spartans, san francisco 49ers, nfl, mike shumann
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire