Will Johnson ignite anemic 49er offense?
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Will a new offensive coordinator light a fire under the anemic San Francisco 49ers' offense? The Niners heads to Atlanta with an 0 and 3 record, having dumped Jimmy Raye and promoted Mike Johnson as the team's new play-caller.
"Coach Johnson is going to bring his personality, his energy, his philosophy to the table now," quarterback Alex Smith said. He feels very comfortable with Johnson and looks forward to tweaking the offense to utilize the weapons they have. "I think just kind of everybody's strengths, not only mine. I think finding everybody's strengths, putting people in position to make plays."
But there is one thing that won't change.
"I want a physical offense, whether we're running the ball or whether we're passing the ball," head coach Mike Singletary said. "I want a balanced attack."
There was a general excitement in the locker room Monday when the offensive coordinator change was announced. Makes you wonder whether the team was losing faith in their head coach.
"When you have a pack moving together, making sure that there's not one off over here, one off over there, just keeping everybody together making sure that I have a hand on the pulse of the team at all times," Singletary said.
We'll take the first check of that pulse Sunday in Atlanta.
san francisco 49ers, mike singletary, nfl, mike shumann
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested
- Pleasanton students targeted on Instagram
- Sonoma Co. supervisor takes stand in peeping trial
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Group still fighting to save Ice Center in San Mateo
- Clippers beat Warriors 98-96 for 2-1 series lead
- 2 arrested for murder of pet sitter in East Oakland
- 11 kids, driver hurt in SoCal school bus crash
- Paul McCartney will play final show at Candlestick
- Brentwood boy to be honored at MLB All-Star game
- Company seeks professional bruncher in SF
- 7OYS investigates Discount Gold Brokers
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: Muni bus fire; Hiker rescued