Raiders' Taiwan Jones is ready to prove his speed
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- When the lockout ends, Taiwan Jones is ready to run. The Oakland Raider's 4th round draft pick came out of Deer Valley High School in Antioch. Now, a lot of guys are fast, but Jones is a blur.
"I always knew Al Davis loved speed but I didn't think it would actually happen for him to draft me. What are the odds of me getting drafted locally? The fact that he picked me up, I guess he stuck to his plan, he loves speed and I got speed," said Jones.
Jones was a great college player, but he was great at Division 1-AA Eastern Washington to impress NFL scouts he needed to showcase his speed when it counted most.
At his pro-day workout in April he did just that, running the 40-yard dash in a smokin' 4.28 seconds.
"I wanted the world to see my speed and believe in my speed. I always felt like I was fast. It was my job to show everybody else that I was," said Jones.
Jones could have been a big-time player at a football powerhouse, but dyslexia made it difficult for him to get good grades, that's how he ended up at Eastern Washington. The learning disability is just one of the many obstacles Taiwan has overcome.
"During the draft there were a lot of things said that I'm undersized, I'm fragile, and things like that. So I'm definitely coming in with a chip on my shoulders," said Jones.
oakland raiders, antioch, nfl, larry beil
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 36
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Crews search for person after boat accident in Brentwood
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz 17 min ago
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Brother of man killed by drunk driver throws first pitch 29 min ago
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter 56 min ago
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke 5 min ago
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday