Alex Smith leading 49ers season to remember
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Quarterback Alex Smith has dealt with more negative criticism than perhaps any player in 49er history, but Smith has shrugged it all off and is taking the Niners to the playoffs for the 1st time since 2002.
Smith has finally lived up to his number one draft status. He's had a career year throwing for over 3,100 yards with only five interceptions, which ties a league record. The team has had only 10 turnovers all season, also an NFL record.
"He's been mentally tough. He's been physically tough the entire year," said head coach Jim Harbaugh.
Smith has completed 61 percent of his passes, thrown for 17 touchdowns, and has a 90.7 quarterback rating. Despite being sacked 44 times, he started all 16 games for the second time in his career.
"Any time a quarterback can play all 16 games for you, start and play every down pretty much the entire season, that's a man-size job. That is hard to do," Harbaugh said.
He's done it without a consistent receiving corp. Injuries have altered this part of the lineup all season, but as of late, Michael Crabtree has been the man. He's had a career season with 73 catches, 880 yards, and four touchdowns.
"His play just keeps getting better and better. He's making the great catch and turning short catches into yards after the catch. I feel like Michael's having more fun too," Harbaugh said.
It's been fun to watch both players get to use their entire skill set and hopefully this level of play will continue in the playoffs.
san francisco 49ers, nfl, nfl playoffs, alex smith, nfl, mike shumann
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
- Experts weigh in on Bay Bridge broken bolt debacle
- PayPal hopes new smartphone app will replace wallet
- Apple's Cook faces Senate questions on taxes
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma City area
- Oakland looks to give micro-loans to small businesses
- Bay Area fire captain among team sent to Oklahoma 59 min ago
- Search continues for man after Bay to Breakers
- Arias tells jury what she'll do if allowed to live
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Photos: San Jose Sharks fan pics!
- abcnews: Hero teacher covered students with body
- roundup: SF bank robbery; Search for survivors
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday