'The Catch' happened 30 years ago today
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Today is the 30th anniversary of "The Catch" -- one of the most memorable moments in NFL history. It happened on Jan. 10, 1982. Legend has it, receiver Dwight Clark kicked out our own ABC7 sports anchor Mike Shumann out of the huddle the play before, back when he played for the San Francisco 49ers. Shumann was still willing to see his old teammate and relive the moment.
49er quarterback Joe Montana threw the ball to Dwight Clark in 1982 which propelled the team past the Dallas Cowboys to San Francisco's first Super Bowl. And, of course, the 49ers won the Super Bowl. Three decades later, Clark is still asked about the catch every day.
Shumann: Can you believe it's been 30 years?
Clark: No I can't. Man, I mean, you're getting old.
Shumann: I'm not that much older than you. It was probably one of the most iconic catches of the history of the NFL.
Clark: I don't know if it's the greatest catch, or anything, but I do know that people still talk to me about it. Old dudes will come up and tell their grandkid, 'You know this is the guy that made The Catch,' and all that. So it's pretty cool to be able to have something in your career that people hold on to so tightly and still talk to you about it 30 years later.
Shumann: The 49ers are the first pro franchise in this city, and that championship, I think the A's had won 3, the Raiders 2, but I think that first 49er Super Bowl championship meant more to the city of San Francisco than anyone.
Clark: I don't think there's any question really. The city was down a little bit, Harvey Milk had been assassinated, you know, all that. So there was just a lot of negativity and the 49ers brought this city out of it. Pretty cool to be a part of something important.
san francisco 49ers, nfl, larry beil
- Injunction filed to keep Jahi McMath on life support
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- BART makes no progress on contract talks 39 min ago
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin
- Driver in fatal Twin Peaks DUI hit-and-run sentenced 29 min ago
- Target shopper files suit over security breach
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- VIRAL VIDEO: Oscars® Trailer: Ellen...
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
48 min ago
- BART makes no progress on contract talks
39 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos