Biden accidentally disses 49ers at campaign event
SAN FRANCISCO -- The Giants are going all the way!
That sentiment would draw cheers in San Francisco during baseball season, but drew jeers when Vice President Joe Biden mixed up the city's baseball and football teams during a campaign event Wednesday afternoon.
Biden, speaking at an event in San Francisco's Financial District in support of President Obama's re-election, told supporters that "the Giants are on their way to the Super Bowl," according to media reports.
The New York Giants are facing the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Championship game at Candlestick Park on Sunday.
When the comment drew boos from the crowd, Biden quickly apologized, saying he was used to talking about the San Francisco Giants' baseball victories, then clarified that he meant to say "49ers."
The campaign event was one of a handful of stops Biden and his wife are making in the Bay Area today.
This evening, the vice president plans to meet with several local tech leaders, including the heads of Apple, Google, Yahoo, Netflix and Zynga.
He is scheduled to spend the night in San Francisco before traveling to Reno and Los Angeles on Thursday.
san francisco 49ers, joe biden, nfl
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest 14 min ago
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum 8 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Mandatory water cutbacks ordered in Livermore
- Boston Marathon bomb hoax suspect in court
- A's first pitch to honor man killed by drunk driver
- California home prices surge in March; sales fall
- WWI soldier's love letters found behind attic wall
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos