Darrius Heyward-Bey pleaded not guilty
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Oakland Raider receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey pleaded not guilty Thursday to drunk driving on the Bay Bridge. The 25-year-old wide receiver did not appear in court, so his lawyer entered the plea.
The DUI charge stems from an incident last month when Heyward-Bey was stopped for driving erratically. He was heading to the East Bay after going to a San Francisco nightclub and the CHP says his blood alcohol level was .13.
"This guy's had no trouble at all in the NFL, no prior convictions of any type, a clean driving record. He's a good guy. This was an unfortunate incident and Darrius will do whatever it takes to put this behind him and go forward," said Ivan Golde, Heyward-Bey's attorney.
That may include a fine and community work. The DUI charge is not expected to impact the receiver's playing time with the Raiders. But the NFL may still take disciplinary action.
oakland raiders, oakland, DUI, nfl
- Collapse feared at site of massive Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion 43 min ago
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- SF police investigating shooting in the Outer Mission 1 min ago
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos