Darrius Heyward-Bey pleaded not guilty
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Oakland Raider receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey pleaded not guilty Thursday to drunk driving on the Bay Bridge. The 25-year-old wide receiver did not appear in court, so his lawyer entered the plea.
The DUI charge stems from an incident last month when Heyward-Bey was stopped for driving erratically. He was heading to the East Bay after going to a San Francisco nightclub and the CHP says his blood alcohol level was .13.
"This guy's had no trouble at all in the NFL, no prior convictions of any type, a clean driving record. He's a good guy. This was an unfortunate incident and Darrius will do whatever it takes to put this behind him and go forward," said Ivan Golde, Heyward-Bey's attorney.
That may include a fine and community work. The DUI charge is not expected to impact the receiver's playing time with the Raiders. But the NFL may still take disciplinary action.
oakland raiders, oakland, DUI, nfl
- Hearing produces new details, video of Asiana crash 36 min ago
- PG&E removes pipe involved in Oakland gas leak
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Mother releases video of daughter killed in Sandy Hook shooting 8 min ago
- Facebook to join S&P 500
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic 'Kombi' vans
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Warehouse fire; Mandela memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos