Darrius Heyward-Bey pleaded not guilty
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Oakland Raider receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey pleaded not guilty Thursday to drunk driving on the Bay Bridge. The 25-year-old wide receiver did not appear in court, so his lawyer entered the plea.
The DUI charge stems from an incident last month when Heyward-Bey was stopped for driving erratically. He was heading to the East Bay after going to a San Francisco nightclub and the CHP says his blood alcohol level was .13.
"This guy's had no trouble at all in the NFL, no prior convictions of any type, a clean driving record. He's a good guy. This was an unfortunate incident and Darrius will do whatever it takes to put this behind him and go forward," said Ivan Golde, Heyward-Bey's attorney.
That may include a fine and community work. The DUI charge is not expected to impact the receiver's playing time with the Raiders. But the NFL may still take disciplinary action.
oakland raiders, oakland, DUI, nfl
- Several aftershocks felt after 5.7 quake in Greenville 5 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapse caused by truck hitting span
- Palo Alto man arrested in Czech murders case 3 min ago
- New details released in police officers' murders
- BART board votes to relax rush hour bike ban 58 min ago
- Magnitude 8.2 earthquake hits Russia's Far East
- New info released about robbery in Santa Rosa
- Gov. Brown keeps pressing climate change crusade
- TIME publishes Obama prom photo, yearbook message
- Caltrans shows fix for broken Bay Bridge bolts
- Oakland's real estate market heats up
- abcnews: New bill would allow pets on Amtrak
- roundup: Bicyclist killed in SF; Body in canal ID'd 35 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
24 min ago