Raiders wide receiver pleads guilty to DUI
SAN FRANCISCO -- Oakland Raiders wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey pleaded no contest Monday to a misdemeanor DUI charge in connection with his arrest on the Bay Bridge in April.
Heyward-Bey, 25, was pulled over at about 2 a.m. on April 7 on the lower deck of the bridge on his way back to the East Bay from a nightclub in San Francisco, his attorney Ivan Golde said.
He agreed to plead no contest in San Francisco Superior Court to the misdemeanor charge Monday morning in exchange for a sentence of three years' probation, three months of DUI classes and various fines and fees.
Heyward-Bey had been pulled over after allegedly weaving and driving slightly above the speed limit in his 2012 Range Rover, according to the California Highway Patrol.
Prosecutors said a chemical test conducted at the scene found his blood-alcohol content was .13 percent, and a Breathalyzer test taken about an hour later found his BAC was still .12.
Golde had previously said there were "serious issues" with the case, but told Judge Samuel Feng today that seeking a trial on the charges would distract from with the Raiders' upcoming season and "would be an undue hardship" on his client.
Heyward-Bey "wants to put this behind him," Golde said.
Raiders players are scheduled to start reporting for the team's preseason training camp this Sunday in Napa.
Heyward-Bey was Oakland's top receiver last season, leading the Raiders with 64 receptions and 965 receiving yards, both career highs.
oakland raiders, bay bridge, DUI, nfl
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers 1 min ago
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire