Aldon Smith suffers minor eye injury in car wreck
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The San Francisco 49ers are confirming another off the field incident involving defensive standout Aldon Smith.
The second-year player needed stitches to close a cut over his eye after a single car crash in the east San Jose foothills Friday night.
According to a CHP report, Smith was a passenger in the car that swerved to avoid a deer and slammed into a tree. The driver suffered a broken back. Neither drugs or alcohol were involved, and Smith played in the Niners' game on Sunday.
Smith has been involved in two other incidents this year. In June he was stabbed at his home while allegedly trying to break up a fight where two others were shot. He was arrested for drunken driving in Florida in January. The charge was reduced to reckless driving.
san francisco 49ers, nfl
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos