49ers' new stadium 15 percent complete
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- It's full steam ahead for the San Francisco 49ers' new stadium in Santa Clara.
Project directors said Tuesday that the stadium is now 15 percent complete, with 400 construction workers on track to finish on schedule and in time for the 2014 football season.
It will take some 18,000 tons of steel -- the weight of 3,000 elephants -- to finish the job. That's enough concrete for the foundations of 300 average size homes and more than 50 miles of underground pipes.
san francisco 49ers, santa clara, nfl
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family to hold prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- Georgia woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets
- Richmond council votes for foreclosure prevention plan
- Online retailers take part in Free Shipping Day
- Food bank hands out hundreds of hams to families
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 US films to be preserved
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Stolen ATM recovered; SF shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday