49ers fans gear up for big game against Seahawks
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Fans are already gearing up for tonight's big game -- when the San Francisco 49ers host the Seattle Seahawks and battle for the division lead. There's already plenty of excitement to be had both on and off the field.
Jo Giampaoli sets up her family's spirited and appropriately over-decorated RV campsite just as she has for every home game since 1987, "Well, I met my husband in 1960, so that's when I became a Niners fan!"
She and her husband Dario drive two hours from Merced County for this, turning it into a three-day vacation. After Sunday's crushing 26-3 loss to the reigning Super Bowl champion New York Giants, the Giampaoli's haven't given up hope. They say losing is not an option, and they have their long-running rituals for good luck, "We always wear our 49ers shirts and put up all our decorations," said Jo.
Other 49ers fans will be treated to talents of locals at today's game. Fremont native Jewels Hanson prepares for her first time singing the national anthem for her favorite team.
"It feels amazing," Jewels said. "I love sports, I love the Niners, and I love to sing, so it's a really great way to marry all of those interests all into one."
The country singer began her career as a young girl, performing in her Bay Area church and in musical theater. In 2006, Jewels was cast as a top ten finalist on "Nashville Star" season 4 hosted by Wynonna Judd.
Jewels has already performed the national anthem for the Giants, the A's, and the Sharks. This is her first time singing for the 49ers.
Hanson kicks off the game tonight, right here on ABC7 at 5 p.m., but you can watch on KOFY TV20 starting at 3 p.m. for a special pregame show. The pregame show continues on KGO at 4 p.m. followed by the game. Then stay tuned for "After the Game" on ABC7.
san francisco 49ers, nfl
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire