49ers fans gear up for big game against Seahawks
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Fans are already gearing up for tonight's big game -- when the San Francisco 49ers host the Seattle Seahawks and battle for the division lead. There's already plenty of excitement to be had both on and off the field.
Jo Giampaoli sets up her family's spirited and appropriately over-decorated RV campsite just as she has for every home game since 1987, "Well, I met my husband in 1960, so that's when I became a Niners fan!"
She and her husband Dario drive two hours from Merced County for this, turning it into a three-day vacation. After Sunday's crushing 26-3 loss to the reigning Super Bowl champion New York Giants, the Giampaoli's haven't given up hope. They say losing is not an option, and they have their long-running rituals for good luck, "We always wear our 49ers shirts and put up all our decorations," said Jo.
Other 49ers fans will be treated to talents of locals at today's game. Fremont native Jewels Hanson prepares for her first time singing the national anthem for her favorite team.
"It feels amazing," Jewels said. "I love sports, I love the Niners, and I love to sing, so it's a really great way to marry all of those interests all into one."
The country singer began her career as a young girl, performing in her Bay Area church and in musical theater. In 2006, Jewels was cast as a top ten finalist on "Nashville Star" season 4 hosted by Wynonna Judd.
Jewels has already performed the national anthem for the Giants, the A's, and the Sharks. This is her first time singing for the 49ers.
Hanson kicks off the game tonight, right here on ABC7 at 5 p.m., but you can watch on KOFY TV20 starting at 3 p.m. for a special pregame show. The pregame show continues on KGO at 4 p.m. followed by the game. Then stay tuned for "After the Game" on ABC7.
san francisco 49ers, nfl
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- 'Legends of Candlestick' to return for final game
- Stocks close mostly higher on earnings; Apple up
- California bill attacks growing corporate wage gap
- 2 arrested for murder of pet sitter in East Oakland
- Brentwood boy to be honored at MLB All-Star game
- Company seeks professional bruncher in SF 29 min ago
- Historic Cal theater to reopen as live music venue
- Suspected San Jose homicide victim identified
- Amazon launches grocery service for Prime members
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: Muni bus fire; Hiker rescued
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
6 min ago