How the field at Candlestick is prepped for game day
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- All eyes will be on the field at Candlestick tonight when the Niners take on the Seahawks. Some gardeners are working hard to ensure it's ready for primetime. On game day - the field takes center stage and a lot of abuse.
"It's job security," said head groundskeeper Roger Revel.
Revel has spent the last 30 years on the field. He's the head groundskeeper at Candlestick. It's his job to make sure this field is perfect.
"They break it, we fix it -- that's the nature of the game," said Revel.
A special field takes special grass.
"It's Bermuda with rye overseas - it's a hybrid," said Revel.
It's a lawn that would make anyone envious.
Two groundskeepers work on this lawn all season to keep it looking like this. Six people jump into action before a game day.
The day before any game you'll find the crew on the field -- painting razor sharp lines and man-sized numbers plus the all-important endzones. They use latex paint to do it and a lot of it.
"Probably about 40 gallons - 45 gallons," said Revel.
Rain or shine, groundkeepers work against the clock to get this field ready. It will take hours to finish, but all this hard work, will only last through the next game.
"I try to grow it off - I try to make it like the game never happened. Get rid of all the holes in the field, all the divots, defects I try to grow all the paint away then we start all over again," said Revel.
It is a process that will be repeated at least 10 times a year.
In between home games - the grounds crew makes sure to keep the field from getting too wet or two dry. Regardless of how well the team does - the season always ends the same.
"At the end of the season, we tear it all out and we start again," said Revel.
Written and produced by Ken Miguel
san francisco 49ers, nfl, larry beil
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket 20 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Wonder Girl to take on Vallejo after Batkid saved SF
- Weather to help crews battling Big Sur blaze
- Results of Consumer Reports car reliability survey
- School marching band hit by robber gets big donation 7 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: OPD gets new SUVs; Big Sur fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday