Raiderettes celebrate 50 years
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Football's fabulous females -- the one and only Raiderettes -- just turned 50. Other than looking great, the hardworking women are carrying on a tradition and a commitment to excellence that goes beyond the field.
The Raiderettes have been on the sidelines for five decades, but being a Raiderette is more than just cheering for the Raiders on game days. Aside from rehearsals and photo shoots, there are also public appearances and charity work.
Raiderette tryouts bring out hundreds of women, but only a few make the squad.
There have been more than 300 Raiderettes since they started in 1961.
"We were the first, and we didn't know what Raiderettes were and neither did the public," former Raiderette Sandy Denney said.
Denney was just 15 when she became a Raiderette.
"There were newspaper advertisements and flyers that went out to local dance studios and I had been in dancing a lot of years and my friend said, 'Why don't you come over and we'll try,'" Denney said.
Over the years the Raiderettes evolved. By the 1970s the squad was known across the league as "Football's Fabulous Females."
"I got to do a lot of things in those seven years, it was really a great experience," former Raiderette Kristie Turner said.
In late October, Turner and Denny were back on the field as the Raiderettes celebrated 50 years of high kicking and pom-pom shaking.
"To be treated so special, is really my fondest memory," Denney said.
Written and produced by Ken Miguel
oakland raiders, nfl
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal 33 min ago
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full swing
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos