Grandmother says NFL was dream of Cowboys' Brown
IRVING, Texas -- The grandmother of Jerry Brown, who was killed in what police say was a drunken-driving accident, remembers him as a young man who stopped at nothing to realize his dream of becoming a professional football player.
Theresa Clark of St. Louis tells The Associated Press that Brown lived for football, and loved it with all of his heart. He was a practice-squad linebacker with the Dallas Cowboys.
The 25-year-old Brown died Saturday in Irving, Texas. Teammate Josh Brent is charged with intoxication manslaughter and being held on $500,000 bond.
While Clark's heart is heavy over the death of her eldest grandson, she remains proud of his accomplishments.
She says Brown built a foundation of faith, hard work and discipline for his younger cousins to follow.
Cowboys' owner Jerry Jones says team is grieving
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says his team is grieving over the death of linebacker Jerry Brown as it gets ready to play the Cincinnati Bengals in a game that has major playoff implications.
Dallas was playing one day after defensive lineman Josh Brent was charged with intoxication manslaughter after he flipped his car, killing Brown.
Players were told of the matter on their flight to Cincinnati on Saturday. Jones said before the game on Sunday that the best thing the Cowboys could do was play their best to honor Brown. The Cowboys (6-6) needed a win to stay in the thick of playoff contention.
A moment of silence was scheduled before the kickoff.
nfl, crash, DUI, nfl
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van 52 min ago
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Student wins cooking contest with sandwich creation
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos