Fans face frigid weather to watch Niners game
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The frigid weather isn't cooling down playoff fever in the Bay Area. Fans bundled up Saturday to watch the 49ers take on the Green Bay Packers.
The playoff circus is back in town, with fans converging on Candlestick Park, hoping to use the chilly night to put the heat on the Packers.
"It's our turn, we're gonna go all the way this year, we were one play short last year, this year's our time," said 49ers fan Frank Quadrato. "Good luck to them, we love 'em, they're good fans, but Candlestick Park, woohoo!"
The Cheeseheads, however, were not going quietly into the game, "No, we're amongst friends out here man, we like the 49ers too, man," said Packers fan Jason Seele. "But it's not our fault you took Alex Smith instead of Aaron Rodgers in the draft. So, we're just excited for the game, it's gonna be a good game."
Even before the kickoff, San Francisco police were already scoring. They confiscated thousands of dollars worth of counterfeit NFL merchandise that was for sale. Now this won't be keeping anybody warm during tonight's 40-degree temperatures. Fans were making other arrangements to stay warm, "
"I'm wearing lots of warm clothes and layering up, and I'm cheering a lot cause we're gonna win," said 49ers fan Debbie Guthier
Extra police are patrolling the area. Most are in uniform, but a few are dressed like 49er and Packer fans just in case knuckleheads decide they want to start a fight.
san francisco 49ers, candlestick park, freeze, ice, nfl
- Manager reveals details of teen's stowaway survival
- Man punches neighbor whose house caught on fire
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- Pedestrian critically injured in accident in SF
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Images released of shipwreck in San Francisco Bay 11 min ago
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week
- Young Oakland boy shot in the eye with paintball gun
- VIRAL VIDEO OF THE DAY: Record-breaking jump 29 min ago
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- South Korea ferry toll hits 156 as search gets tougher
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan