49ers Culliver says gays not welcome on team
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco 49ers defensive back Chris Culliver said in a radio interview that he did not want any gay players on the team.
"No, we don't got no gay people on the team. They got to get up out of here if they do," he said.
The 49ers immediately issued an apology and said there is no room for discrimination in their organization.
The team issued a statement Wednesday saying, "The San Francisco 49ers reject the comments that were made yesterday, and have addressed the matter with Chris. There is no place for discrimination within our organization at any level. We have and always will proudly support the LGBT community."
The team didn't say whether the second-year player will face disciplinary action or a fine.
Late Wednesday, Culliver also released a statement saying, "The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel. It has taken me seeing them in print to realize that they are hurtful and ugly."
"Those discriminating feelings are truly not in my heart. Further, I apologize to those who I have hurt and offended, and I pledge to learn and grow from this experience," he added.
Culliver will address the media Thursday morning regarding the remarks.
lgbt, san francisco 49ers, nfl
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree 33 min ago
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes 8 min ago
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk 5 min ago
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital 42 min ago
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on...
8 min ago