49ers fan fever going strong in Santa Clara
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- 49ers fever is not confined to San Francisco. Santa Clara residents are thrilled about the 49ers' success and the fact that the team will be in their own backyard when the new stadium is completed.
The new 49ers home will attract tens of thousands of people to Santa Clara's restaurants and bars. It will also mean that longtime fans like Bob Schikore won't have to travel as far for a game.
"It takes me an hour to drive up and an hour to drive back from Candlestick so this way I get to take the light rail and we're all set," he said.
Brandon Gojenola likes the idea of a home town team.
"I'm ecstatic, you know, I've never had a team in my home town besides the Sharks and it's phenomenal that my favorite team in the Bay Area is going to be just down the street," he said.
Local businesses are looking forward to the revenue these fans will bring them. C&J'S on Lafayette Street is luring Super Bowl fans in on Sunday with free food. Bartender Jonathan Goodell says he's already seen an uptick in fans.
"49er fans have been all over the place recently and in here I've seen nothing but red," he said.
And that means black at the register.
san francisco 49ers, santa clara, super bowl, nfl
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Fatal accident on Almaden Expressway in San Jose 1 min ago
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown