Report: 49ers made deal to trade Alex Smith
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The San Francisco 49ers have a deal in place to trade quarterback Alex Smith, according to multiple reports.
There is speculation that the Kansas City Chiefs are the other team in this deal. The Chiefs desperately need a quarterback and the Niners aren't likely to pay Smith $8.5 million to be Colin Kaepernick's backup.
Smith can't be traded until March 12, but sources say a deal is "effectively complete" with an unidentified team.
alex smith, colin kaepernick, san francisco 49ers, nfl
- Statewide AMBER Alert issued for abducted LA kids 5 min ago
- Woman found dead in Castro Valley home was shot
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Man gets 110 years to life for Hayward teen's murder
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Paul Stanley: Kiss miffed at Rock Hall over snub
- Brentwood students facing charges for sexting scandal
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos