49ers name stadium streets after DeBartolo & Walsh
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- The city of Santa Clara will name two streets bordering the new 49ers stadium after the some of the team's luminaries.
The San Jose Mercury News reports the team will soon be playing home games at the corner of Marie P DeBartolo Way and Bill Walsh Drive. Debartolo was the matriarch of the family that owns the team. She died in 1987. Walsh was the hall of fame coach who won the team three Super Bowls. He died in 2007.
The sign at the intersection of the two will no doubt be a popular photo spot for 49ers fans.
Also, tonight the Santa Clara City Council is expected to approve a resolution to support a bid to host Super Bowl 50 in 2016. Mayors and business leaders from across the Bay Area gathered last Wednesday inside the shell of the new stadium to promote a Super Bowl bid. They'll be competing with Miami, where lawmakers are scrambling to get a tax measure on the ballot to upgrade their stadium.
The NFL's 32 owners meet on May 21 to select the host site for Super Bowl 50.
san francisco 49ers, santa clara, nfl
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos