49ers name stadium streets after DeBartolo & Walsh
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- The city of Santa Clara will name two streets bordering the new 49ers stadium after the some of the team's luminaries.
The San Jose Mercury News reports the team will soon be playing home games at the corner of Marie P DeBartolo Way and Bill Walsh Drive. Debartolo was the matriarch of the family that owns the team. She died in 1987. Walsh was the hall of fame coach who won the team three Super Bowls. He died in 2007.
The sign at the intersection of the two will no doubt be a popular photo spot for 49ers fans.
Also, tonight the Santa Clara City Council is expected to approve a resolution to support a bid to host Super Bowl 50 in 2016. Mayors and business leaders from across the Bay Area gathered last Wednesday inside the shell of the new stadium to promote a Super Bowl bid. They'll be competing with Miami, where lawmakers are scrambling to get a tax measure on the ballot to upgrade their stadium.
The NFL's 32 owners meet on May 21 to select the host site for Super Bowl 50.
san francisco 49ers, santa clara, nfl
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future 50 min ago
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events 47 min ago
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- Deadline looms to complete Covered CA applications
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- Sobrato family makes mark on South Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Sonoma County crash; Sunday parking in SF
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
42 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos