49ers name stadium streets after DeBartolo & Walsh
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- The city of Santa Clara will name two streets bordering the new 49ers stadium after the some of the team's luminaries.
The San Jose Mercury News reports the team will soon be playing home games at the corner of Marie P DeBartolo Way and Bill Walsh Drive. Debartolo was the matriarch of the family that owns the team. She died in 1987. Walsh was the hall of fame coach who won the team three Super Bowls. He died in 2007.
The sign at the intersection of the two will no doubt be a popular photo spot for 49ers fans.
Also, tonight the Santa Clara City Council is expected to approve a resolution to support a bid to host Super Bowl 50 in 2016. Mayors and business leaders from across the Bay Area gathered last Wednesday inside the shell of the new stadium to promote a Super Bowl bid. They'll be competing with Miami, where lawmakers are scrambling to get a tax measure on the ballot to upgrade their stadium.
The NFL's 32 owners meet on May 21 to select the host site for Super Bowl 50.
san francisco 49ers, santa clara, nfl
- BART'S top cop to have auditor assess reforms
- President Obama renews calls for nuclear reductions
- Alameda County Fair opens with new food, new rides 55 min ago
- Hundreds allowed back home after Calif. wildfire
- South SF husband and wife charged with pimping
- AMA now recognizes obesity as a disease
- New Colo. wildfire prompts evacuations of homes
- Giants pitcher Sergio Romo gets ice cream flavor
- Woman stabbed, killed on Hollywood's Walk of Fame 49 min ago
- Oakland theater to host "Fruitvale Station" screening
- Sonoma-Marin Fair holding "Ugliest Dog" contest
- abcnews: Pope invites Down syndrome teen for a spin
- roundup: Controlled burn; Carjacking arrests
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Alameda County Fair opens with new food,...
55 min ago