Former 49er, Raider Harris speaks out about being gay
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (KGO) -- Former San Francisco 49er and Oakland Raiders offensive tackle Kwame Harris is opening up about being gay.
During an interview with CNN Friday morning, he spoke about keeping his homosexuality a secret while playing in the NFL.
The 30-year-old was publicly outed days before the Super Bowl in January after an altercation with a former boyfriend in Menlo Park.
Harris said he doesn't want others who are struggling with their identity to feel alone. "I want people, whether gay athletes, athletes still in the closet, or youths who are not sure what their sexuality is, to know those are common feelings," he said.
menlo park, san francisco 49ers, oakland raiders, crime, domestic violence, food, nfl
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos