Former 49er, Raider Harris speaks out about being gay
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (KGO) -- Former San Francisco 49er and Oakland Raiders offensive tackle Kwame Harris is opening up about being gay.
During an interview with CNN Friday morning, he spoke about keeping his homosexuality a secret while playing in the NFL.
The 30-year-old was publicly outed days before the Super Bowl in January after an altercation with a former boyfriend in Menlo Park.
Harris said he doesn't want others who are struggling with their identity to feel alone. "I want people, whether gay athletes, athletes still in the closet, or youths who are not sure what their sexuality is, to know those are common feelings," he said.
menlo park, san francisco 49ers, oakland raiders, crime, domestic violence, food, nfl
- Jahi McMath's family to hold rally, march in Oakland 16 min ago
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Man arrested in deadly fight at Antioch bowling alley
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Jahi McMath's mother writes letter about daughter 15 min ago
- Vault fire in SF's Mission District now under control
- Neighbors: Nevada gunman had botched vasectomy
- Ex-49er Harris sentenced in boyfriend's beating
- Massage therapist faces sexual battery charges
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Photos: FAN PHOTOS: Farewell Candlestick
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos