Former 49er, Raider Harris speaks out about being gay
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (KGO) -- Former San Francisco 49er and Oakland Raiders offensive tackle Kwame Harris is opening up about being gay.
During an interview with CNN Friday morning, he spoke about keeping his homosexuality a secret while playing in the NFL.
The 30-year-old was publicly outed days before the Super Bowl in January after an altercation with a former boyfriend in Menlo Park.
Harris said he doesn't want others who are struggling with their identity to feel alone. "I want people, whether gay athletes, athletes still in the closet, or youths who are not sure what their sexuality is, to know those are common feelings," he said.
menlo park, san francisco 49ers, oakland raiders, crime, domestic violence, food, nfl
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud 53 min ago
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District 35 min ago
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports 8 min ago
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens 8 min ago
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring 7 min ago
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at... 15 min ago
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
35 min ago
- Should you be concerned about living on the...
24 min ago
- 'Science cheerleaders' send experiment into...
29 min ago