Bay Area 2016 Super Bowl bid looks promising
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- The Bay Area inched forward in its quest to host Super Bowl 50 at the 49ers' new stadium after Florida lawmakers punted Friday.
The National Football League had narrowed its choices to Santa Clara or Sun Life Stadium near Miami, but earlier Friday, a bill to upgrade the Dolphins' home died in the Florida legislature.
The NFL said those improvements were needed to host the Super Bowl in 2016. That means the San Francisco Bay Area likely will be the frontrunner to host Super Bowl L in 2016, according to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport.
NFL owners are expected to officially make an announcement May 21.
san francisco 49ers, ed lee, santa clara, nfl, super bowl, construction, nfl
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction 42 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill 24 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery...
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos