Report: Apple and Gap pledge money for Super Bowl
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Some of the Bay Area's most well-known companies are pledging big bucks to help bring pro football's ultimate game to the 49ers new Santa Clara stadium.
San Francisco-based Gap Inc. and Silicon Valley-based Apple and Google are some of the companies that have contributed money. The The Bay Area Super Bowl committee says that indicates regional support for the Super Bowl.
San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee is optimistic.
"I think there's just a tremendous excitement about it so I'm very happy to see such immediate positive response on this," he said. "I think it's going to be the best bid, going forward to the National Football League owners and they're going to be thoroughly impressed and we're going to be excited to host it here in San Francisco. And while the game is played in Santa Clara, we're going to enjoy all of the NFL Experience, all of the major events; the media coverage will be here in the city."
The Bay Area's competition for the big game is the city of Miami, a city that has hosted more Super Bowls than any other.
It's a competition the committee thinks it can win. Apple recently sent every NFL owner, who will be voting on the Super Bowl's location, a brand new iPad mini.
The vote takes place next week.
gap, apple, super bowl, san francisco 49ers, levi strauss, santa clara, construction, ed lee, nfl, amy hollyfield
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US 18 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- California criminal behind 3-strikes law arrested
- 49ers Jim Harbaugh ready for start of free agency 42 min ago
- MasterCard, Visa plan group focused on security
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case