Report: Apple and Gap pledge money for Super Bowl
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Some of the Bay Area's most well-known companies are pledging big bucks to help bring pro football's ultimate game to the 49ers new Santa Clara stadium.
San Francisco-based Gap Inc. and Silicon Valley-based Apple and Google are some of the companies that have contributed money. The The Bay Area Super Bowl committee says that indicates regional support for the Super Bowl.
San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee is optimistic.
"I think there's just a tremendous excitement about it so I'm very happy to see such immediate positive response on this," he said. "I think it's going to be the best bid, going forward to the National Football League owners and they're going to be thoroughly impressed and we're going to be excited to host it here in San Francisco. And while the game is played in Santa Clara, we're going to enjoy all of the NFL Experience, all of the major events; the media coverage will be here in the city."
The Bay Area's competition for the big game is the city of Miami, a city that has hosted more Super Bowls than any other.
It's a competition the committee thinks it can win. Apple recently sent every NFL owner, who will be voting on the Super Bowl's location, a brand new iPad mini.
The vote takes place next week.
gap, apple, super bowl, san francisco 49ers, levi strauss, santa clara, construction, ed lee, nfl, amy hollyfield
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident 37 min ago
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest 52 min ago
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 27 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
24 min ago