San Rafael father and son win 49ers ticket contest
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A father and son in San Rafael will be going to the final scheduled San Francisco 49ers game at Candlestick Park for free!
Daniel Pontes won a pair of tickets offered by the San Francisco Recreation and Park Department after submitting a photo showing of his son's drawings, which resemble a football coach's playbook.
He'll be taking his son. It will be the 6-year-old's first Niners game.
"I can't compete with some of the great Candlestick remembrances posted here, but I hope to create a lifetime memory for my son on Monday night," Pontes wrote on the SF Rec and Park Facebook page. "He's a 6-year-old Niners fanatic, and I promised to take him to a game this year. This is going to be our last chance in 2013, and his last chance ever to check out the 'Stick before the move. Here's some of his 49ers artwork. It appears to be some type of playbook!"
Hundreds of fans posted memories and anecdotes on the San Francisco Recreation and Park Facebook and Twitter pages documenting their favorite moments at the iconic stadium. Several included "The Catch", the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, and The Beatles last concert.
"These contest entries attest to how special and iconic Candlestick Stadium is to so many fans and families," said Phil Ginsburg, SF Rec and Park General Manager. "Congratulations to the winners."
Besides overseeing more than 220 parks and recreation centers in San Francisco's park system, Rec and Park also manages Kezar Stadium, the original home stadium for the 49ers and Candlestick Stadium. The 49ers played 25 seasons at Kezar Stadium. They have played at Candlestick since 1971. Candlestick Stadium, established in 1960 with the capacity of 70,000, is the second oldest stadium in the nation.
candlestick park, san francisco 49ers, san rafael, children, nfl
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos