30 arrests during Monday night game at The Stick
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- All the excitement at the San Francisco 49ers' final regular season game at Candlestick Park proved to be too much for some fans.
Tailgaters started early in the day -- displaying their red and gold, and preparing for what turned out to be an epic game between the 49ers and the Atlanta Falcons. The Monday Night Football game was a complete sellout as thousands showed up to pay their respects before the 53-year-old stadium is torn down.
Most fans behaved and heeded the message repeated by officials before the game -- respect The Stick. They showed up early, showing off their red and gold pride, grilling, and hanging out with fellow fans before the big face-off with the Falcons.
However, a few fans went out of bounds. One man told ABC7 he "definitely got a few new mementos for the closet." Some other fans thought it would be a good idea to try and steal some seats from the Stick. They made it out of the main gate and into the parking lot before police caught up with them.
The San Francisco Police Department reported Tuesday morning that in all, 81 people were ejected from the stadium, 7 people were cited, and 30 people were arrested. Some of the arrests were for property destruction and more than a few people spent the night in a holding cell for public intoxication. At least one person was injured.
There were also reports of people being turned away from the game because they had counterfeit tickets.
Police say they are investigating other infractions and may make additional arrests.
candlestick park, san francisco 49ers, san francisco giants, crime, vandalism, SFPD, nfl
- Wounded police officer back in surgery 21 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Local entrepreneur facing domestic violence charges
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire 22 min ago