30 arrests during Monday night game at The Stick
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- All the excitement at the San Francisco 49ers' final regular season game at Candlestick Park proved to be too much for some fans.
Tailgaters started early in the day -- displaying their red and gold, and preparing for what turned out to be an epic game between the 49ers and the Atlanta Falcons. The Monday Night Football game was a complete sellout as thousands showed up to pay their respects before the 53-year-old stadium is torn down.
Most fans behaved and heeded the message repeated by officials before the game -- respect The Stick. They showed up early, showing off their red and gold pride, grilling, and hanging out with fellow fans before the big face-off with the Falcons.
However, a few fans went out of bounds. One man told ABC7 he "definitely got a few new mementos for the closet." Some other fans thought it would be a good idea to try and steal some seats from the Stick. They made it out of the main gate and into the parking lot before police caught up with them.
The San Francisco Police Department reported Tuesday morning that in all, 81 people were ejected from the stadium, 7 people were cited, and 30 people were arrested. Some of the arrests were for property destruction and more than a few people spent the night in a holding cell for public intoxication. At least one person was injured.
There were also reports of people being turned away from the game because they had counterfeit tickets.
Police say they are investigating other infractions and may make additional arrests.
candlestick park, san francisco 49ers, san francisco giants, crime, vandalism, SFPD, nfl
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Fire that injured 2 under investigation in SJ 59 min ago
- Blind man survives getting run over by train 35 min ago
- Water pours from top of San Francisco high-rise 21 min ago
- Accident cleared from EB lanes of the Bay Bridge
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide 47 min ago
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Lonely Michigan boy gets surprise party on GMA 28 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire 5 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Blind man survives getting run over by train
35 min ago