30 arrests during Monday night game at The Stick
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- All the excitement at the San Francisco 49ers' final regular season game at Candlestick Park proved to be too much for some fans.
Tailgaters started early in the day -- displaying their red and gold, and preparing for what turned out to be an epic game between the 49ers and the Atlanta Falcons. The Monday Night Football game was a complete sellout as thousands showed up to pay their respects before the 53-year-old stadium is torn down.
Most fans behaved and heeded the message repeated by officials before the game -- respect The Stick. They showed up early, showing off their red and gold pride, grilling, and hanging out with fellow fans before the big face-off with the Falcons.
However, a few fans went out of bounds. One man told ABC7 he "definitely got a few new mementos for the closet." Some other fans thought it would be a good idea to try and steal some seats from the Stick. They made it out of the main gate and into the parking lot before police caught up with them.
The San Francisco Police Department reported Tuesday morning that in all, 81 people were ejected from the stadium, 7 people were cited, and 30 people were arrested. Some of the arrests were for property destruction and more than a few people spent the night in a holding cell for public intoxication. At least one person was injured.
There were also reports of people being turned away from the game because they had counterfeit tickets.
Police say they are investigating other infractions and may make additional arrests.
candlestick park, san francisco 49ers, san francisco giants, crime, vandalism, SFPD, nfl
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Police search for men over attempted bank robbery
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Woman struck by cab in downtown San Francisco
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Florida school board member wants parent dress code
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York
- California home prices surge in March; sales fall 10 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday 32 min ago
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos