49ers surpass goal for parking spots at new Levi's Stadium
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- The San Francisco 49ers have scored a victory ahead of Sunday's matchup with the Seattle Seahawks. The Niners' new Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara now has a lot more parking for its fans.
The mayor tells us construction at the new stadium is now 95 percent completed. Living here in the Bay Area, we all know that parking is often the most difficult detail to nail down.
The 49ers will take over Levi's Stadium next year. But before the first snap, the football team needed to find enough parking spaces.
A few months ago they were 5,000 short of the 21,000 goal. However, they've now met that goal and then some.
The 49ers and city risked teeing off dedicated golfers by landing 3,000 to 5,000 more parking spots for game days on the city owned golf course just a chip shot away from Levi's Stadium.
"We're really excited because it gives us the opportunity to host really large events and iconic events that will really stimulate this region," said Santa Clara Mayor Jamie Matthews.
The city and Niners didn't stop there; a total of 31,600 may be in the bag soon, as negotiations for more spaces at nearby Mission College and the old Yahoo campus are ongoing. But before you go, know that only certain lots will allow tailgating.
"There absolutely will be tailgating in certain locations," said 49ers Chief Operating Officer Paraag Marathe. "So fans will, you know, get all their BBQ on."
Monday and Thursday night games are also in play for late 2014.
Fans are excited about the new stadium in their backyard, but cautious, knowing getting there may be tough.
"You have 101, 237, and you have Montague," 49ers fan Rogelio Flores said. "And so, we'll see. I'm not sure what's going to happen, but I'm pretty sure they've got everything worked out."
"I think that public transportation is the way to go," 49ers fan Jenn Garcia said.
So how much will it cost to park in one of these newly claimed spaces? The 49ers say it will cost $40 per car, that's about $5 to $10 more than it cost to park at Candlestick.
san francisco 49ers, santa clara, nfl, construction, nfl, matt keller
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF
- Royal editor: Diana gave me leaked phone info
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Rare tree halts plans for Smart Train in Cotati
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"...
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos