Redskins' Fletcher prepping to return in 2013
Washington Redskins linebacker London Fletcher told a Washington radio station that he is preparing to return for a 16th NFL season and had surgery Wednesday on his left ankle, which bothered him late in the season.
He sent a tweet Wednesday afternoon after the surgery was completed.
He wrote: "Surgery went great...thanks for all the well wishes! Prep begins now for season 16!"
Fletcher earlier revealed his plans to 106.7 The Fan in Washington and also said he will have an additional surgery to clean up his elbow later this month. The surgical procedures will be the first of Fletcher's NFL career.
"Surgery is the first step towards prepping for next season," he told the radio station.
The Redskins had been hoping to learn about Fletcher's plans by March 12, the official start of free agency.
Fletcher, who turns 38 in May, has never missed a game in his NFL career and has appeared in 240 in a row, tying him with Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive back Ronde Barber for the longest active streak.
Fletcher has led the Redskins in tackles each of the past six seasons and had 139 last season.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters 9 min ago
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 25 min ago
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
25 min ago
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck...
49 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos