Chiefs' Albert signs tender, hopes for 'security'
Kansas City Chiefs left tackle Branden Albert signed his franchise tender Thursday and told USA Today Sports that he's not "disgruntled" as he has been portrayed in media reports.
Albert signed his tender two weeks after the Chiefs placed the franchise tag on him. Albert will make $9.828 million if he plays under the one-year contract.
That is no sure thing, though. The Chiefs have spoken to his representatives about a long-term contract, and it's also possible that Kansas City will trade Albert in the coming weeks.
"I want to know where I'm going, when I'm going, and I want some security," he told USA Today.
Albert is a former first-round pick who has locked down the left side of the Chiefs' offensive line the past five seasons. He played all 16 games two years ago but missed three games last season while dealing with back injuries.
Albert said he has the right to be "selfish" in his current situation.
"My prior years being in Kansas City, I've been through a lot of dark days. Not just me, but Jamaal [Charles], Derrick Johnson, Brandon Flowers, Eric Berry, Dwayne Bowe, all of us. I just want to see lighter days for myself and my teammates," he told USA Today.
He detailed the instability he's had to endure with the Chiefs. "Four offensive line coaches, two GMs, three head coaches, five different offensive coordinators and seven quarterbacks I've blocked for. But I think I've done well with the situation I've been given, with the teammates and coaches. I've learned how to play football and left tackle because I've had to, otherwise I was going to be a bust," Albert told USA Today, adding he has too much pride to have let that happen.
Last year, Bowe did not sign his franchise tender until midway through the preseason. This offseason, the wide receiver signed a five-year, $56 million contract with the Chiefs.
Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd 23 min ago
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 53 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
49 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos