Raiders add Jenkins, bring back DE Carter
The Oakland Raiders on Tuesday made three signings to bolster their defense, adding free-agent cornerback Mike Jenkins and safety Usama Young and re-signing defensive end Andre Carter.
Jenkins is the second experienced starter at cornerback that the team has added in consecutive weeks to an untested unit. Young, who played for the Cleveland Browns last season, had a career-high three interceptions in 2012. Carter had 2.5 sacks and a forced fumble for the Raiders last season.
The team didn't disclose terms of the deals, but a league source told ESPN on Monday that Jenkins agreed to a one-year deal, while Carter's agent, Carl Poston, told ESPN's Josina Anderson on Tuesday that his client also agreed to sign for one season.
Last week, Oakland signed former Denver Broncos cornerback Tracy Porter, who played only six games last season because of problems with seizures and a concussion. He spent the previous four seasons with the New Orleans Saints, and in 2008, 2009 and 2010 played under the tutelage of Raiders coach Dennis Allen (who served as the Saints' secondary coach during those years).
The other cornerbacks currently on Oakland's roster have combined for four career starts.
Jenkins spent the past five seasons with the Dallas Cowboys, starting 48 games in his career but only two last season. He had five interceptions and made the Pro Bowl in 2009 but has just two interceptions the past three seasons.
Carter had 10 sacks for the New England Patriots in 2011 before suffering a season-ending injury to his left quadriceps. He ranks eighth among active players with 78.5 career sacks.
Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, ESPNDallas.com's Calvin Watkins and The Associated Press was used in this report.
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash 59 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Video: Cracked windshield forces flight to divert
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos