Colts, Bills swap LBs: Hughes for Sheppard
The Buffalo Bills and Indianapolis Colts completed a swap of linebackers Monday, with former first-round pick Jerry Hughes headed to Buffalo in exchange for Kelvin Sheppard.
The 24-year-old Hughes, who was drafted by Indianapolis 31st overall in the 2010 draft, posted career-bests in sacks (four) and tackles (41) last season, appearing in all 16 games with six starts.
"We wish nothing but the best for Jerry in Buffalo," Colts general manager Ryan Grigson said in a statement. "He's a talented guy that did everything we asked of him. At the same time, we are very pleased to be getting a young linebacker who has been a productive starter in this league."
Sheppard, 25, also posted career-highs in tackles (80) and sacks (two). He played in all 16 games for Buffalo, starting 15. He was drafted in the third round of the 2011 draft.
Used initially as a defensive end, Hughes made the switch to linebacker with the Colts last season.
At 6-foot-2 and 254 pounds, Hughes' versatility could be a better fit on a Buffalo defense that's in transition under new coach Doug Marrone and new coordinator Mike Pettine.
The Bills also added a linebacker in the draft, selecting Oregon's Kiko Alonso with the 46th pick. Alonso is a hard-hitting player who spent most of his three-year college career playing in the middle.
Hughes became expendable in Indianapolis after the draft, too. The Colts used their first-round pick, 24th overall, to draft defensive end/linebacker Bjoern Werner from Florida State.
Sheppard was strictly a middle linebacker, who was part of a unit that struggled against the run in each of the past two seasons.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Group still fighting to save Ice Center in San Mateo
- Clippers beat Warriors 98-96 for 2-1 series lead
- 2 arrested for murder of pet sitter in East Oakland
- 11 kids, driver hurt in SoCal school bus crash
- Paul McCartney will play final show at Candlestick
- Brentwood boy to be honored at MLB All-Star game
- Company seeks professional bruncher in SF
- 7OYS investigates Discount Gold Brokers
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: Muni bus fire; Hiker rescued
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos