Source: Giants RB Brown to miss 4-6 weeks
New York Giants running back Andre Brown is likely to miss four to six weeks with a fractured left leg, a source close to the situation confirmed Friday afternoon.
Brown's timetable was revealed after he underwent further testing.
Brown fractured the leg during the second quarter of the Giants' preseason game Thursday night at New England. It's the same leg he broke last year, when he missed the final six games of the season, but Brown said after Thursday's game that it wasn't as serious an injury and that he thought he could return in a few weeks.
The timetable, first reported by ProFootballTalk.com, creates an interesting decision for the Giants in advance of Saturday's 6 p.m. ET deadline for reducing rosters to 53 players. They could put Brown on injured reserve with a designation to return, which means he wouldn't be allowed to practice for six weeks or play in a game for eight weeks. But that's a tricky rule, since teams may use it on only one player per year and can't make the designation until next week.
If the Giants are to use that designation on Brown, he must first make the 53-man roster. Then they could designate him next week and add another player to the roster at that time. The Giants' other options are to keep Brown on the 53-man roster until he is healed (effectively forcing them to play a man short for the first one to one and a half months of the season), to release him or to put him on season-ending injured reserve.
Brown scored eight touchdowns in 10 games last season, and this year the Giants planned to use him in tandem with 2012 first-round pick David Wilson at running back.
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat 55 min ago
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos