'Fire Schiano' billboard appears in Tampa
The venom toward Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano has reached a new level with a local radio station buying a billboard calling for the coach's ouster.
TAMPA, Fla. -- The venom toward Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano has reached a new level with a local radio station buying a billboard calling for the coach's ouster.
Radio station 102.5 The Bone paid for the billboard in north Tampa that carries the message "Fire Schiano" and the station's logo with flames in the background.
"The 'Fire Schiano' billboard is simply a reflection of the Tampa Bay community's opinion of the Buccaneers' head coach," Michael Sharkey, the program director for the station, said in a statement. "Our listeners have voiced their opinion that they are tired of a team that, on paper, should have a winning record. This billboard isn't a message to the Buccaneers as much as it is a message to our listeners that we are right there with them."
The Bucs are winless in their first six games this season and have lost 11 of their past 12, helping to make the second-year, first-time NFL coach an unpopular figure with the fan base.
The team also went through a messy breakup with quarterback Josh Freeman, who was benched after three games in favor of rookie Mike Glennon and later released -- but not before details of Freeman's presence in the league's substance-abuse program was leaked to the media. Schiano was adamant he was not the source of the leaks. The NFL Players Association is investigating.
Schiano was booed roundly as he left the field after Tampa Bay's last home game, a 31-20 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on Oct. 13.
The Bucs host the Carolina Panthers on Thursday night at Raymond James Stadium, where Tampa Bay has lost six straight games.
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose 16 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
8 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos