Los Lagos Golf Club
Don't be fooled by the yardage or the par 68. Los Lagos is close to a full-size course. It has an odd configuration, with nine par 3's, but only two of them are short enough for wedges. You'll hit a driver off all four par 4's. And on the five the par 5's, you'll hit third shots into every green.
From its opening day on April 1, 2002, we've found good, if not wonderful conditioning, here. Keep telling yourself, "This is a muni. This is a muni." San Jose went way over budget on the course. Non-golfing taxpayers may grumble, but not me.
Los Lagos' greens have wild undulations. Putt creatively, but true. The fairways are pure. Although with time, let's hope management cuts them a little lower. I like fast fairways, and this is a good place for them.
Los Lagos has many memorable holes, but here are my favorites:
The 4th can be a do or die. From the back tees, it gives you an option to carry your drive 230 yards over water and straight to the green. Hit it well enough, you'll be putting for eagle. The design offers a safe route to the left, but when did playing safe enter into the golf vocabulary?
Most players aren't likely to the par five 6th or 9th in two shots. Beware water fronting each green. We like risk/reward.
The 12th and 16th": Each of these is a classic par three across water. Find the sweet spot, or play your second with an aqualung.
The 18th: Yow. Envision a long double dogleg par 5, stretching to nearly 600 yards from the back tees. Players who reach this in two must submit to mandatory drug tests.
Now&does Los Lagos still sound like an executive course? `
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing for...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
22 min ago