The Mirabel Club
SCOTTSDALE, AZ (KGO) -- If you need to ask how much, you cannot afford it. The Mirabel Club, near Scottsdale, Arizona, is one of those places.
Bill Huffman, a friend and golf radio talk show host in Phoenix, arranged for us to play a round at this elite private club---a place that blends overt luxury with a kind of casual comfort that implies you have nothing else to prove.
Tom Fazio designed this immaculate and challenging desert course. It is both dramatic and playable. The fairways are wider than they look. The bunkering is meticulous, and the elevation changes subtle. The holes are close together enough that you can walk the course if you want, or else use a caddy. Our guy was also a cross-country runner who regarded us as an excuse for more training. He dashed ahead and located every ball, even the errant ones.
At this heavenly club, you will find elaborate comfort stations with fresh coffee, tee, candy, and fresh beef jerky.
The clubhouse offers every possible amenity, from multiple hot tubs in the men's locker room, to leather headrests above the urinals.
After the round, I went to the shop and purchased a hat. And no, I did not ask the price.
golf, wayne freedman
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday