The Mirabel Club
SCOTTSDALE, AZ (KGO) -- If you need to ask how much, you cannot afford it. The Mirabel Club, near Scottsdale, Arizona, is one of those places.
Bill Huffman, a friend and golf radio talk show host in Phoenix, arranged for us to play a round at this elite private club---a place that blends overt luxury with a kind of casual comfort that implies you have nothing else to prove.
Tom Fazio designed this immaculate and challenging desert course. It is both dramatic and playable. The fairways are wider than they look. The bunkering is meticulous, and the elevation changes subtle. The holes are close together enough that you can walk the course if you want, or else use a caddy. Our guy was also a cross-country runner who regarded us as an excuse for more training. He dashed ahead and located every ball, even the errant ones.
At this heavenly club, you will find elaborate comfort stations with fresh coffee, tee, candy, and fresh beef jerky.
The clubhouse offers every possible amenity, from multiple hot tubs in the men's locker room, to leather headrests above the urinals.
After the round, I went to the shop and purchased a hat. And no, I did not ask the price.
golf, wayne freedman
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap 44 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
16 min ago