The Mirabel Club
SCOTTSDALE, AZ (KGO) -- If you need to ask how much, you cannot afford it. The Mirabel Club, near Scottsdale, Arizona, is one of those places.
Bill Huffman, a friend and golf radio talk show host in Phoenix, arranged for us to play a round at this elite private club---a place that blends overt luxury with a kind of casual comfort that implies you have nothing else to prove.
Tom Fazio designed this immaculate and challenging desert course. It is both dramatic and playable. The fairways are wider than they look. The bunkering is meticulous, and the elevation changes subtle. The holes are close together enough that you can walk the course if you want, or else use a caddy. Our guy was also a cross-country runner who regarded us as an excuse for more training. He dashed ahead and located every ball, even the errant ones.
At this heavenly club, you will find elaborate comfort stations with fresh coffee, tee, candy, and fresh beef jerky.
The clubhouse offers every possible amenity, from multiple hot tubs in the men's locker room, to leather headrests above the urinals.
After the round, I went to the shop and purchased a hat. And no, I did not ask the price.
golf, wayne freedman
- Medical examiner: 24 dead in Oklahoma tornado 19 min ago
- Firefighters save Vallejo man in apartment fire
- Man goes missing after Bay to Breakers race
- Bay Area residents in DC protest against banks
- NFL owners to announce Super Bowl 50 host city
- Victims hope to get money back from lending scheme
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party
- Norman Wielsch sentenced to 14 years in prison
- 5-year-old killed in rollover crash in Richmond
- 4-alarm grass fire burns 8 acres in Orinda
- Silver Creek HS sophomore killed in bike accident
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- roundup: Mountain lion spotted; Palo Alto murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday