The Boulders, North Course
CAREFREE, AZ (KGO) -- The North Course at The Boulders Resort may be less spectacular geologically than its companion The South, but is every bit its rival in sporting challenge. Here too, you'll find the trademark theme defining the "Boulders experience": lush, immaculate fairways hemmed in by menacing cactal flora, exfoliated granite outcroppings, and voracious bunkers.
This is classic desert target golf. A nice design touch thrown in by architect Jay Moorish is the occasional bunker that circumscribes a solitary Cenozoic Age boulder. The North adds the extra intimidation of long, forced carries over a number of inviolate wild areas. Choose the color of your tee boxes wisely. From the tips, the course serves up eight par 4's over 400 yards and three par 3's over 180 yards. Distance aside, a sprayed tee shot is virtually an automatic lost ball. My playing partner (a 9-handicapper) launched into oblivion an even dozen by end of day. But the joys of The North extend beyond its playing challenge. The diversity of the surrounding desert plant and bird life seems richer than many other venues in the area competing for your attention. And the resort itself offers amenities and service second to none. It's truly a desert golf destination that is the stuff memories are made of. Check out our review of the breathtaking South Course as well. Green fees, depending on season, range from $75-240, yardages range from 4893-6731, and slopes from 120-144.
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington's Skagit River 42 min ago
- Preliminary 5.7 earthquake hits Northern California
- New details released in police officers' murders 39 min ago
- Bicyclist killed in accident with garbage truck in SF
- Gov. Brown keeps pressing climate change crusade
- Video: America's Cup teams practice on San... 53 min ago
- TIME publishes Obama prom photo, yearbook message
- Caltrans shows fix for broken Bay Bridge bolts
- Oakland's real estate market heats up
- Hundreds of officers attend little girl's graduation
- Ohio kidnap case hero gets free McDonald's food
- abcnews: New bill would allow pets on Amtrak
- roundup: BART bike vote; Gov. climate change
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- America's Cup teams practice on San...
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos