Los Prados Golf Course
LAS VEGAS, NV (KGO) -- If you wonder where Las Vegas locals play, here is one of your answers. Las Prados Golf Course is short. It's inexpensive. The people and staff are pleasant, homey, and courteous. But, Los Prados offers little in the way of a serious golf challenges, course aesthetics, or conditioning.
If you have any length at all, its seven, drivable par-4's will allow you to feel like Tiger Woods. Their distances range from 260 to 315 yards. Of those, the 261-267 yard 9th is sublime. A lake lies to the left, and in front of the green, but it's a big target. In fact, this is such a good hole that the course should re-route its nines, and make this the finisher.
Most of the other holes remain featureless. Par 3's lack character, ranging from 96-188 yards.
Los Prados is a par-68 stretched to become a par-70. Therein lies its problem. Regulars tell us that the 295-301 yard, par 4, 6th, for instance, used to be a shorter par-3, until the staff redesigned it by placing a chain link fence between the teeing ground and the green. Now, instead of a long shot to a green, it forces two wedges.
The 440-450 yard, par-5, 14th used to be a testing, dogleg right, par 4. But then the staff toughened it by placing trees and narrowing the fairway. Even after a good drive, you may feel as if you're swinging in jail.
The good news - that Los Prados is about to undergo renovations which will give it more of a desert look and feel. And, in a town where golf has become downright pricey, it provides a fun, inexpensive alternative, assuming you are not too picky. We made friends with a resident, and paid $30 on a Saturday.
Can't beat that.
golf, wayne freedman
- Elderly man detained in NKorea reunited with family
- Freeze Warning in place for most of the Bay Area
- Court records show MLB denied A's move to San Jose
- Snow, sleet, ice hit large swath of United States
- Stanford Rose Bowl-bound after beating ASU
- Batkid returns to SF for Make-A-Wish fundraiser
- Thompson has 30 and Warriors top Grizzlies 108-82
- Deputy who fatally shot Andy Lopez to return to work
- 5 displaced in two-alarm apartment fire in Alameda
- Winter Spare the Air Alert issued for Sunday, Dec. 8
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday