Pajaro Valley Golf Club review
Watsonville, Califorinia (KGO) -- Santa Cruz has Pasatiempo.
Monterey has Pebble Beach and the like.
Royal Oaks, near Watsonville, has the Pajaro Valley Golf Club. Never heard of it?
This modestly priced course surprised us. Those who can look past some of the rough spots will discover that Pajaro Valley has some of the most interesting greens in Northern California.
We like the place because it is not your quintessential country club for a day. However, it does offer an essence of public golf at its best.
This par-72 course has three sets of tees, ranging from 5757 to 6664 yards, with a rating of 69.5, and a slope of 118 from the tips. Nine holes built in the 1920's blend well with another nine built in the 1950's. The fairway grass is brown. Pajaro Valley's minimalist design is devoid of that tricked-up mounding we find on so many modern courses. The course plays fast and firm, allowing players to run balls onto the greens, links style.
And, we cannot rave enough about the 100 percent poa annua greens, as maintained by superintendent Pete Galea. They're fast, true, and equal to those at quality country clubs. Shots that land above holes often lead to dreaded three-putts.
- Boy's body found at the bottom of a canal in Antioch
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial Day event 50 min ago
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T Park in SF 56 min ago
- Angel Pagan wins it for SF Giants with inside-the-park HR
- Wildfire near Interstate 580 in Livermore now contained
- San Antonio flooding kills one; 200-plus rescued 32 min ago
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying
- Missing elderly Palo Alto woman with Alzheimer's found
- San Francisco man with brain injury missing
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities
- abcnews: How to stay safe at amusement parks
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 26 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
23 min ago
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial...
50 min ago
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T...
56 min ago