Casie missed the cut, comes out a winner
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, CA (KGO) -- Yesterday, she made a hole in one; today a 13-year-old Livermore girl was just trying to make the cut at the LPGA tournament at Blackhawk.
Despite a birdie on the last hole Casie Cathrea finished 5 over for the tournament and missed qualifying for the weekend, but she still walks off the golf course a winner.
It's a big part of her game, the smile that is. While Casie Cathrea strolls the fairways with the best of the LPGA, the 13-year-old seems to have everything it takes.
"Good shot Casie!" says Harry Cathrea, Casie's father.
The long hits, the great touch, and the pure putting, but she's also got a winning attitude. Randy Morris is Casie's golf coach at Livermore High School.
"Everything you see out there is what she is in real life. A very happy person. Just very happy go lucky," says Morris.
Even when the shots don't go her way, Casie quickly bounces back.
Though his daughter missed the cut in her first LPGA event, Harry knows she walks away with a wealth of experience.
"She did awesome. It was fun to watch. It was two days of watching your daughter do something that was amazing, which was pretty neat," says Harry.
"It was really fun because I could see what they did different than me," said Casie. When asked what the other competitors did differently, since she outdrove them by quite a bit, she replied, "It's not about the distance. It's just that they took a lot longer to putt and they made more putts than me."
On Monday, Casie goes back to being a freshman at Livermore High School and instead of her next shot, she'll be thinking about her makeup biology test.
"I'm actually looking forward to it because I like school now, now that I'm in high school," says Casie. She also says she's ready for her test.
She already passed this test.
golf, laura anthony
- Protest continues at CCSF; rally planned at city hall
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Large marijuana grow found at home in Hayward
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Brentwood students in trouble for nude selfies
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- 2 men arrested for possessing explosives
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Tree removal dispute; Weed-laced brownies
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos