Clear Creek Tahoe course review
Minden, Nevada (KGO) -- Aficionados of golf course architecture have much in common with people follow fine chefs and their latest restaurants, or artists and their newest paintings.
In the summer of 2009, groupies who follow the golf course architect team of Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw are running to the eastern slope of Lake Tahoe to play their newest golf course creation, Clear Creek Tahoe.
Coore and Crenshaw are picky about their sites and uncompromising on their style of architecture. At first glance, the severe rocky terrain of the Sierra does not seem appropriate for a classic style golf course, but after further inspection, the site off Highway 50 in Nevada has some of the best sandy soil around.
With this key element solved, Coore and Crenshaw went about winding a masterpiece through the rocky outcrops, hills and pine trees on this 1600 acre property. Clear Creek Tahoe has generous, wide fairways, and no rough in keeping with the classic golf course style. Greens are wide open in spots allowing players to run or bounce balls onto putting surfaces.
Variety is key for Clear Creek. Holes play to the left and right, uphill, downhill, short and long. The 222 yard, par-3, 12th has no bunkers, but the short 131 17th hole is surrounded by bunkers and sand.
As with all Cooore/ Crenshaw courses, these architects put a premium on putting with sloping, undulating greens. They are not as severe as on some other courses, but these greens reflect considerable thought. They're all about angles of approach, direction, slopes, and angles. Clear Creek Tahoe is an excellent golf course for any level of golfer, and one that will retain its freshness, no matter how many times he or she plays it.
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Fire that injured 2 under investigation in SJ
- Blind man survives getting run over by train 42 min ago
- Water pours from top of San Francisco high-rise 28 min ago
- Accident cleared from EB lanes of the Bay Bridge
- Danville teen killed in Highway 24 crash identified 7 min ago
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide 54 min ago
- Lonely Michigan boy gets surprise party on GMA 35 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire 12 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Blind man survives getting run over by train
42 min ago