Recommendations for Sharp Park released
PACIFICA, CA (KGO) -- San Francisco's Recreation and Park Department has released its long-awaited recommendations for Sharp Park, the San Francisco-owned 18-hole golf course located in Pacifica along the San Mateo County Coast.
It has been a contentious issue from the start.
In September, 2008, the Center for Biological Diversity cited the Endangered Species Act and sued San Francisco to protect the Red Legged Frog and San Francisco Garter Snake.
"The golf course is not compatible with wetlands habitat," said Jeff Miller, who speaks for the environmental group, which wants San Francisco to donate the land to the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
Golfers protested the potential loss of an inexpensive public course, considered a classic, designed by Alister Mackenzie.
"This golf course is the equivalent of the Golden Gate Bridge in architecture," said golf historian Bo Links.
The report recommends an option that keeps Sharp Park as an 18-hole golf course. The plan would preserve wetlands habitat and move the 12th hole east of Highway 1.
The plan would cost $6 million, of which $4.5 million would restore wetlands. The department hopes to tap funds from the Environmental Protection Agency.
"I think with careful work the architecture, the 18 holes and the species can be protected." ," said Richard Harris, a lawyer who has been fighting to restore the course.
Recreation and Park is also looking at a plan that might raise green fees for the course.
Other options reportedly include changing Sharp Park to a nine-hole course or restoring the wetlands completely.
golf, wayne freedman
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF 30 min ago
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro 17 min ago
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 4 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
1 min ago
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration...
30 min ago