The secret is out about KJ Choi's irons
You might have noticed that when KJ Choi won the Players Championship this past weekend, he did not wear a hat or shirt endorsing a brand of clubs. That was no accident.
Those of us with sharp eyes recognized his irons, however. They were Miura CB-501's... the same new irons I tested and raved about in a review last year. KJ played the 4-iron through pitching wedge, plus two Miura wedges.
This is a symbolic victory for the elite Japanese club maker, Katsushiro Miura. While his forgings have earned many previous major championships, this is the first time a PGA tour player won using clubs that had Mr. Miura's name stamped on them, instead of Cleveland, Titleist, Callaway, or TaylorMade, among others. Those companies routinely ask Miura to make clubs for their picky tour players. Yes, his forgings really are that much better.
"We knew KJ was using our irons," said Bill Holowaty from Miura Golf. "If a tour player wants to use our clubs, we supply the head and they supply the shafts."
Unlike other companies, Miura does not pay tour players to swing its clubs. Many of them quietly do, however. Check the bags of Mark Hensby, Nick Price, Frank Licklighter, and Samantha Richdale, along with several bigger names whom the company cannot reveal.
Your giveaway may be to look in the bags without a manufacturer's name on the side.
golf, wayne freedman
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin
- Car crashes into San Jose home this morning 23 min ago
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015
- VIRAL VIDEO: Oscars® Trailer: Ellen... 26 min ago
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos