The secret is out about KJ Choi's irons
You might have noticed that when KJ Choi won the Players Championship this past weekend, he did not wear a hat or shirt endorsing a brand of clubs. That was no accident.
Those of us with sharp eyes recognized his irons, however. They were Miura CB-501's... the same new irons I tested and raved about in a review last year. KJ played the 4-iron through pitching wedge, plus two Miura wedges.
This is a symbolic victory for the elite Japanese club maker, Katsushiro Miura. While his forgings have earned many previous major championships, this is the first time a PGA tour player won using clubs that had Mr. Miura's name stamped on them, instead of Cleveland, Titleist, Callaway, or TaylorMade, among others. Those companies routinely ask Miura to make clubs for their picky tour players. Yes, his forgings really are that much better.
"We knew KJ was using our irons," said Bill Holowaty from Miura Golf. "If a tour player wants to use our clubs, we supply the head and they supply the shafts."
Unlike other companies, Miura does not pay tour players to swing its clubs. Many of them quietly do, however. Check the bags of Mark Hensby, Nick Price, Frank Licklighter, and Samantha Richdale, along with several bigger names whom the company cannot reveal.
Your giveaway may be to look in the bags without a manufacturer's name on the side.
golf, wayne freedman
- San Jose police officer arrested for sexual assault
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers 14 min ago
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday