Practice rounds under way at U.S. Open in SF
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The biggest names in golf, including Tiger Woods, are practicing for the upcoming U.S. Open championship at the historic Olympic Club in San Francisco.
The tournament starts this Thursday and hundreds of thousands of people are expected throughout the week.
You can park your car at Candlestick; the USGA has secured 17,000 parking places and shuttle service. Organizers picked Candlestick because of the large lot and easy freeway access. But once you arrive at Candlestick, just leave your cell phone in your car and hop on a bus - they run from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Another choice is BART; you can get off at the Colma station and catch a free shuttle. The Colma shuttles are running from 5 a.m. until 9 p.m. today through Friday, slightly later on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
The number one thing you don't want to do is drive to the Olympic Club. Skyline Boulevard and John Muir Drive are restricted. Traffic will be bad and you can't park in the neighborhoods.
You can also take Muni and get off at Lake Merced Boulevard. Commuters should expect backup along the shuttle route from there to the Olympic Club where the shuttle ride is 20 to 30 minutes.
The last U.S. Open that was held at the Olympic Club was in 1998.
- Secret Service investigating big Target data breach 59 min ago
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- SUV crashes into gas station in Oakland 34 min ago
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos